Mozarella En Carozza ( Buddy Valastro's Italian Fried Grilled Cheese Sandwiches)
Submitted by: harv614 | Source: Buddy Valastro via Kitchen Boss on TLC
- Servings: 10
|1||Pound Log of Semi-firm Fresh Mozzarella|
|1||Loaf Pepperidge Farm Very Thin White Bread|
|1||‑1/2 Cups Fine Master Breadcrumbs|
|½||Cup Sun Dried Tomato Pesto|
|Neutral Frying Oil Like Safflower or Canola|
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. With a 3" round cookie cutter, cut out rounds from the center of twenty pieces of the bread. Spread 1 teaspoon of tomato pesto on the center of ten pieces of rounds – about 1/4" from the perimeter.
3. Set up a dredging station in three bowls: flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs. Lightly dip each slice of mozzarella in flour, tapping off excess. Lay a slice of mozzarella in the center of each pesto-ed bread round. Cover all with plain rounds. Now you have ten sandwiches – bread will extend slightly beyond the mozzarella.
4. Start a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, pour in enough oil to come halfway up the sides of the sandwiches – about 1/2 ".
5. Dip each sandwich in the beaten egg, allowing excess to drip back into the bowl. Next, coat each sandwich in the crumbs, ensuring the sides are covered.
6. Fry the sandwiches, in batches, turning once, until both sides are golden brown and cheese is oozing. Place on a paper towel-lined sheet pan and sprinkle with salt. You can keep first batch of sandwiches warm in a 200 oven while frying the second batch.