Red Velvet Cheesecake Torte
- Servings: 6-8
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
|Chocolate Shortbread Crust|
|1 cup||All-purpose Flour|
|¼ cup||Cocoa Powder|
|½ cup||Butter (cold)|
|1||Egg Yolk, beaten|
|¼ tsp||Vanilla Extract|
|16 oz||Philadelphia Cream Cheese, room temperature|
|½ cup||Sour Cream|
|¼ cup||Cocoa Powder|
|⅛ tsp||Vanilla Extract|
|1 Tbsp||Red Food Coloring|
|Cream Cheese Frosting|
|4 oz||Butter, room temperature|
|8 oz||Philadelphia Cream Cheese, room temperature|
|1 cup||Confectioners Sugar|
|1 Tbsp||Vanilla Extract|
|½ cup||Toasted Pecans, chopped|
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
1. Combine the flour, cocoa powder and sugar in a food processor.
2. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the dry mixture.
3. Pulse the mixture around 10 times until it looks like bread crumbs.
4. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and pulse another 8-10 times. The dough should be dry, but come together.
5. Take a 9 inch cake pan, or springform pan lined with parchment and press the dough into the bottom of the pan.Gently pat down and work the dough into an even layer covering the pan.
6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Let cool.
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
2. Add the cream cheese, sour cream and vanilla extract to a electric mixing bowl fitted with a paddle. Beat until smooth - scraping down the sides of the bowl.
3. Add the sugar and salt and mix well.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
5. Sprinkle the cocoa powder into the batter and mix to incorporate.
6. Add the red food coloring into the batter and give another good mix. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared crust. Wrap the sides of the pan in heavy aluminum foil and place in a baking pan (with sides). Make a waterbath by pouring hot water into the baking pan - enough to come half way up the cheesecake.
8. Bake at 500 degrees F for 10 minutes, and then turn the temperature down to 200 degrees and bake for 1-1/2 hours until firm, but slightly jiggly in the center. This will hopefully prevent your cheesecake from over baking and cracking on the top.
9. Remove the cheesecake from the oven, take out of the waterbath and completely cool in the pan for 2-3 hours. Remove from the pan (run a small knife around the edge of the pan to loosen if needed), peel off the parchment, and wrap with foil. Refrigerate overnight.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1. In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, mix the cream cheese and butter until smooth, scraping down the sides.
2. Add the vanilla and confectioners sugar and beat until smooth making sure there are no lumps.
3.When ready, pipe the frosting on the top of the cheesecake.
In a small saucepan, toast the chopped pecans for 2-3 minutes - be careful not to burn them.
Sprinkle the pecans over the top of the cheesecake. Refrigerate the cheesecake until firm. Serve at room temperature.