Super Easy Sourdough Quick Bread or Biscuits (made Without Starter & Dairy Free Version Too!)
Submitted by: harv614 | Source: By Cathy McClellan, eHow Contributor (Revisions & Dairy free version by me)
- Servings: 1 Large Loaf or a couple of dozen bicuits
|½ cup||Warm Water|
|1 pkg||Quick Rise Yeast|
|1 cup||Canola Oil|
|4 tsp||(tsp) Baking Powder|
|½ tsp||Baking Soda|
|*substitute 2 Cups of Almond Milk With 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice, for the butter milk. mix milk & juice together & let it "sour" for 5 minutes before using. occasionally i like to bake my bread in a 9" spring form pan ~ see photo. i always use pre-heated stone pizza pan to bake my biscuits on ~ nicely browned bottoms with out over baking!|
1) In one bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Stir in the sugar and add the oil and salt.
2) Mix the soda with the buttermilk and add to the bowl.
)3 In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together. Add the buttermilk and water mixture from the first bowl to this bowl and mix very well.
4) Heat oven to 450 degrees. Flour hands and pick dough up, lightly patting flour all over the dough ball. Place into the greased loaf pan.
5) Put in pre-heated oven and bake for 10-15 minutes for biscuits.
For bread bake 15 minutes at 450, lower oven temp to 400 and bake an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and turn out onto a plate to cool.
Make biscuits with the dough. Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.
Serve bread or biscuits warm with butter. Use honey on warm bread.
If you have more dough than you need for a serving, simply place in a clean bowl, cover and refrigerate until need. Take out and make a loaf or biscuits in the same cooking manner again.